My Five Favorite Hikes in SoCal

My Five Favorite Hikes in SoCal

On the trail on Sunset Peak

I get asked all the time (once or twice a month) what my favorite hikes are. And I always struggle with what to tell people. Some of my favorite hikes are over 15+ milers. While I love them, I am not going to recommend these to a lay person or am I going to just do one willy nilly when I feel like going on a hike. I tried to comprise a diverse set of hikes that have each of the qualities that I look for. I value solitude, views, and diversity of terrain (and when at all possible, a water feature). I tried to choose hikes from all over SoCal and not just the Angeles National Forest that is 15 minutes from my house. These are my top five hikes if you asked me today. (And if you do ask me, now I can just say "Please refer to my blog")

Sunset Peak Trail

7.3 miles, 1272 ft elevation gain, out & back

The mileage on this hike seems intimidating. But believe me, it is not difficult. The incline on this hike is unbelievably gentle and the trail is very even and often very wide. This mountain has snow on it from November to March give or take. But since the trail is so straight forward, it's a great hike to do in the winter too! The views start straight from the parking lot. If the gate is closed, it's a one miles walk up the road and it in and of itself is absolutely worth it. Even in the summer, the first half is lined with trees, so this hike is truly wonderful year round. It's just outside of Mt. Baldy, which is just the cutest mountain town and in better times you should stop at the coffee shop or the lodge and grab a bite or a beer or both. 

Leaving the Summit of Sunset Peak

Summit of Sunset Peak

Cooper Canyon Falls 

4.6 miles, 1013 ft elevation gain, out & back

I've written about this hike before. It's in my favorite bit of Angeles National Forest, which is unfortunately closed until the spring of 2022 due to the Bobcat Fire. Tragic. But as soon as it reopens, I will be the first one there. And April will be just in time for waterfall season. While this hike is beautiful before the waterfall, to get the full effect, do this hike March-June, when the waterfall will be at it's peak. The trail starts in Buckhorn Campground, and then just take the Burkhart Trail to the falls. The trail merges with the PCT at one point and then you will carry on until you see a rope leading down on your left. Also plenty of places to frolic in the water if the falls are crowded. My all time favorite waterfall hike near LA. 

Burkhart Trail

Cooper Canyon Falls in April

Reyes Peak 

1.8 miles, 541 ft elevation gain, out & back

This hike is a bit of a drive, it's about an hour and a half away on the west side of Los Padres National Forest. The closest town is Ojai if you wanted to make an overnight of it. Or even better, there is a campground only a mile from the trailhead. It's called Reyes Peak Campground and there are only 6 or so sites. It is truly one of my favorite campsites in the area. Really unbelievable views with plenty of trees for hammocks. Sites 5 and 6 are truly the best. It does get snow in the winter and sometimes the road is closed off. I would save this hike for spring-fall. It's short but moderately steep the whole time.  Very doable, and as soon as you start sweating, you'll already be at the top. The views are incredible at the summit, and you'll get sneak peeks along the trail too. We had the trail and summit to ourselves the entire time.

Summit of Reyes Peak


Summit of Reyes Peak without us in it

Ho Chi Minh Trail

.6 miles, 259 ft elevation gain,out & back

Okay so this is an even farther drive. The Ho Chi Minh trail is on the north side of San Diego in La Jolla. And no that is not a typo, it's short; but it is very physically and mentally demanding the whole time. Don't be afraid, it's not too difficult. It's a popular trail, so you will never be alone for too long. If at any point, it seems too risky, you can always scramble to the bottom and just walk along the bottom of the canyon.  I would avoid doing this hike if it's raining (would be a little slick). This trail leads directly to the best little beach. It's actually not little at all. If you didn't feel like going back up the way you came, you can walk down the beach to the left and take the road from a parking area and back up to the street you parked on. Remember to drop a pin or something so you don't lose your car. This hike is so fun and feels like a full on adventure.

Almost to the beach

Ho Chi Minh Trail 

Ho Chi Minh Trail Overlook

Ontario Peak

12.1 miles, 3884 ft elevation gain, out & back

I love this area. I live for this area. The Cucamonga wilderness truly has magical soothing qualities. This hike starts out of Mt. Baldy and follows a river along Icehouse Canyon Trail. You'll hit the switch backs after 2 miles and then you'll hit the saddle (a flattened out area where the mountains meet/the lowest point on the ridge.) From the saddle there are literally like 5 different trails for you to choose from and they are all wonderful. My favorite right now is Ontario Peak. Cucamonga is the most popular, so often times you will have the trail to yourself up to Ontario. Ontario has snow from November to April, so if you attempt it in the winter, you'll want spikes and poles at the very least (microspikes and trekking poles). There are a few ridges that you won't want to slip on. The views are stunning and they say there's a chance of seeing big horn sheep (I haven't yet). It's long and steep but 100% worth it. 

The first part of the Icehouse Canyon Trail


Summit of Ontario Peak


Summit of Ontario Peak




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Hikes. 7 States. 7 National Parks

Hiking for Normal People

Five Hikes to Take your Mom on When She's Visiting